- Dorset Humanists events: view our Meetup site.
- Be notified monthly by email of upcoming Dorset Humanists events by subscribing to our Monthly Bulletin.
Dorset Humanists Upcoming Events
Click the title below for event date and details on Dorset Humanists Meetup.com pages:-
- Dorset Humanists Pour your own cuppa, click the link on the right, and say hello! Feel free to suggest conversation topics in the chat function on the day or below in advance. Meeting ID: 858 2755 3153Passcode: 556909 We really want to stay in touch so we hope to see you. Just drop in and say hi and tell us how you're doing. David 07910 886629 Bournemouth, – United Kingdom Tuesday, March 2 at 11:00 AM 5 https://www.meetup.com/Dorset-Humanists/events/276647463/
- Dorset Humanists Join us for friendly 'meet and greet' from 7.00pm. Talk starts at 7.30pm. Click the link or input ID and passcode: Meeting ID: 840 7861 1934Passcode: 892341 We use language to create ‘social action’ in the world. Meanings are ‘socially constructed’ and never value-free. Our choice of words is a function of identifying social positions of power, often in an attempt to ‘other’ people in any perceived ‘outgroup’. ‘Other’-ness is central to many feminist studies, where women are seen as relegated to a subordinate position in relation to men in society. For example, a label such as ‘being […]
- Dorset Humanists This talk is for South Hants Humanists. It is a repeat of David's talk for Dorset Humanists on 14th November 2020. Zoom details will be provided as soon as they are available. A talk by David Warden, Chairman of Dorset Humanists. George Holyoake's name is usually associated with the founding of secularism, but it is widely recognised that his broad concept of secularism, which he developed in the 1850s a decade before the founding of the National Secular Society, is almost identical with what we call ‘Humanism’ today. At the age of twenty-five he spent six months in […]
- Dorset Humanists Join us for friendly 'meet and greet' from 1.30pm. Talk starts at 2.00pm and we wrap up at 3.30pm after Q and A. Click the link on the right or input Zoom ID and passcode:Meeting ID: 837 3956 2877Passcode: 133068 A talk by Barry Newman. Should we have some control over the time and nature of our ending? This topic is surprisingly complex ̶ philosophically, ethically, medically, and socially. Barry takes us through the relevant terminology, criteria and scenarios, six objections and two arguments in favour. Towards the end of the talk he surveys the international situation and […]
- Dorset Humanists Click the link on the right or input meeting ID plus password: Meeting ID: 880 5888 0714Passcode: 948884 A message from Dean: To fill up a bit of lockdown time and give us something extra to chat about for for 10 minutes or so we thought we'd do a film club. An easily accessible film that we can watch and talk about. You don't have to watch it and we won't be chatting about it all night so don't worry if you don't want to be involved with this bit. So the first one is Citizen Kane. Thought […]
- Dorset Humanists Join us from 1.30pm for friendly chat. Talk starts at 2.00pm. After a short break, AGM starts at 3.30pm. Meeting ID: 812 5138 4969Passcode: 949981 A talk by scientist, author, and local humanist Geoff Kirby How did the universe come into existence 13.77 billion years ago? And why is our universe so exquisitely finely tuned to allow – even to encourage – life to exist? These questions have challenged atheists and given succour to believers in a deity, albeit one that may have created our universe, set it going and then lost interest. The second question has become […]